fab-user

[Fab-user] tricky parallel execution

From: Dmitry Makovey
Subject: [Fab-user] tricky parallel execution
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:39:12 -0600

Hi,

I tried to look through archive on this subject but it's either my
undestanding of the subject that is limited or I just couldn't find a solution
to my problem.

Usecase:
Use Fabric to start service on serverA in "single-user mode" (i.e. no
background) and then accessing that service via Fabric for some operations,
then tear it down at the end.

Sample as a sequence of ssh commands in two parallel sessions (desktop and
desktop2):

desktop $ ssh address@hidden "/usr/bin/postmaster -p 8888 -D /alter/data -d3"
desktop2 $ ssh address@hidden "pgdump -U postgres -p 8888" > /tmp/dump.sql
desktop $ ^C

above I have started up DB server in one session, took a SQL dump in the
second, then killed DB server via ^C

I have other scenarios similar to the above that involve more than just DB
dumps. But I thought DB dump would be the easiest to explain.

Can my case be translated into Fabric recipe or should I create my own code
using Fabric as a library (which I'd rather avoid at the moment).

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator

When in trouble when in doubt run in circles scream and shout
     http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19330

---