fgs-bs

Re: [Fgs-bs] Status and stuff

From: Desired Username
Subject: Re: [Fgs-bs] Status and stuff
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:15:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- tps12 <address@hidden> wrote:
> Desired Username wrote:
> > I agree that it doesn't really fit in the server
> CVS
> > (unless it did admin stuff...).  OTOH, I'd hate to
> > send people somewheres else to get the only client
> > that works with our server.  But I guess we could
> make
> > a separate project for that.  Python and Tkinter
> are
> > Free, right?
>
> I think we can add it as a separate module in the
> same repository.

OK, you are the CVS Commander, Chief.

> > Right, I wasn't thinking it would be.  But the DoS
> > question came up in response to your saying that
> we
> > would "waive the right to ban any user for any
> > reason".  In a sense that would be right, but
> > practically speaking if they are blocked at the IP
> > level they are banned from their account.
> >
> > I'm trying to come up with a way to say this:
> "'The
> > community' can censor you and even toss you out of
> > particular room but you can only be blocked from
> the
> > server entirely if you launch some kind of
> > DoS/exploitation attack."
>
> I don't think there's any conflict. Any IP address
> that launches a DoS
> attack is going to be blocked; it's a network
> administration issue that
> only exists because of the nature of TCP/IP. As long
> as we don't
> associate the address with an account and deactivate
> the account, I
> don't think you can consider it a ban.

What about, say, a buffer overrun exploit in the
server?  I guess we'd have to take the whole thing
down and fix it anyway, banning a particular user
isn't going to do anything.  Eh?

I dunno, this whole "not banning people" thing is
really alien.  We need some people with experience,
like from $A_CERTAIN_WEBSITE. (Name variablized to
protect the guilty.)