Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth changes

From: Marcus Planet
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth changes
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:39:47 -0400

Hello Miguel and thank you for your excellent work with Fluidsynth.

As a novice programmer who is making use of the Fluidsynth libs in a
new program, my reaction is mostly positive to these changes.  The
only concerns I have are 1) to be sure that the move from C to C++ is
entirely worthwhile.  You mention that C++ will promote code reuse and
I'm sure that is true.   I do believe, however, that a C++ Fluidsynth
may not be quite as easy to absorb and apply as a C Fluidsynth. 2) I
hope that if the "Qt way" is embraced by Fluidsynth that there will
always be a great amount of freely available documentation and other
information about things Qt.  In looking at Trolltech's web presence
I'm a bit suspicious of their desire to fully and freely support the
actions of independent and indigent programmers like myself.

Mostly, though, I realize that the Qt approach is superior to
competing approaches.  It seems more powerful and it seems to work
better.

Marc