Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth changes

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth changes
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:29:24 +0200

On Apr 20, 2007, at 8:36 PM, Josh Green wrote:

I think the main thing that FluidSynth lacks currently is simply active development. The project has been barely limping along since I took over the maintainer-ship. It could really use, new ideas and a well thought out direction.

Yeah, I agree. One pressing need, IMO for the fluidsynth project is a thorough revision and update of the fluidsynth developer documentation. I would imagine that a diagrammatic, hierarchical view of the routines and data structures would clarify a lot of the areas that could be improved in the code base i.e. working within the context of a modular design would certainly simplify things immensely. Once this is established, then some profiling could be done to optimize the code.

I also agree that adding support for the data streaming of samples would certainly improve the sound quality of fluidsynth.

For the not too distant future, adding parallel processing capability is another area that needs some work.

Finally, I have tried building other applications using qt4 but this seems to break the qt3 apps that I have. So, maybe changing to qmake with qt4 should be viewed with caution.

My $0.02