Re: [fluid-dev] Caching problems on embedded device

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Caching problems on embedded device
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 20:39:27 -0700

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 01:29 +0200, thomasg wrote:

> Yeah, I feared that :(
> As I don't expect a fixed point or integer implementation of
> fluidsynth (sounds like a lot of work) in the next time - is there any
> other way to reduce the load? Can't really switch to another platform
> (even if I'd love to get rid of those damn arm9).
> I'd even do the integer port by myself, but my C skills are really too
> terrible.

Make sure you are building FluidSynth with -msoft-float I think it is.
That might require a special C library, but I don't recall exactly what
the requirements are for using that.  But I know that instead of the
compiler generating actual floating point instructions which have to be
handled via FPU exception handlers, the FPU emulation is inlined into
the code which is much more efficient.  I imagine that you still wont
get a lot of voices out of FluidSynth though.  I would also try setting
the synth.polyphony to a value that the hardware can actually handle
(maybe 8 or 16 for example, quite low really).  Then FluidSynth will do
voice stealing instead of running out of CPU.  Voice stealing is
currently not very optimal though, so that may also result in strange
results.

Hope that helps.
        Josh Green