[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: MIDI Bank Select proposal (was Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket #65

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: MIDI Bank Select proposal (was Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket #65)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 13:58:32 +0200
User-agent: KMail/1.9.6 (enterprise 20070904.708012)

On Monday, August 9, 2010, David Henningsson wrote:
> 2010-08-08 23:42, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas skrev:
> >> How about we release 1.1.2 now, list this as a known issue, and release
> >> 1.1.3 as soon as this is agreed, fixed and finished, with Sysexes,
> >> settings, and so on?
> >> If that then takes just a week - then we can release 1.1.3 just a week
> >> after 1.1.2. What do you think about that?
> >
> > I don't agree with releasing 1.1.2 with this bug. If we need to delay the
> > release date one, or two, or three weeks, it should be delayed. Why are
> > you in a hurry?
> 1. Current trunk has some quite important reordering issues fixed with
> my big thread safety rewrite, which should reach the users ASAP. In
> short, current trunk is better, has more testing and is more stable than
> 1.1.1, which is why we should release.

Your interests are very important for you, and the interests of other people 
are secondary. I'm not the only one that is now advocating for resolving this 
problem, but if it remains unfixed in FS-1.1.2 it will be probably seen as 
your own fault, and you are not interested in giving this perception, right? 

You have done a great work in this release, congratulations for that! Why do 
you want to let such an ugly spot over your work?

> 2. If this was a critical bug to many users, it would have shown up much
> earlier than half-a-year after 1.1.0/1.1.1 was released, so overall, it
> is not critical enough to delay a release.

Instead of creating a new ticket, I chose to use the subject "Son of ticket 
#65" because until you fixed the problem of the queued messages processing 
order, this issue was masked and hidden behind the more general effects of  
ticket #65. Now, this loose end becomes more prevalent, and must be fixed as 

> 3. There is a risc that, if we wait a few weeks to get this in, a new
> bug might show up which will make us want to fix that one in a few
> weeks, and so on, it'll be an infinite (or at least long running) loop
> of fixing and testing. I've seen it happen before, and I believe it's
> about to happen again.
> 4. This new feature (recognizing sysex in particular), requires changes
> to many of the MIDI drivers, and we risc regressions. I doubt that we'll
> make it even in three weeks, with all the testing required.

I've offered myself to work and try to fix this issue, if there is enough 
consensus about a proposal. Right now, it is your opposition what is blocking 
me to do anything.


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]