On 08/01/2012 03:31 AM, Aere Greenway
qjackctl is completely independent of fluidsynth. Its quite unlikely
that instaling fluidsynth causes it to crash. Anyway, what one does
in that case is to fire up the debugger:
I am not able to run the test on my 450 megahertz (Xubuntu 12.04)
Although your build process seemed to work okay, and no errors
were reported, it has changed my system to where qjackctl crashes
every time I try to run it. I have listings of all the retrieval
& build steps, if that would be helpful in determining the
and when you get the crash
to get the backtrace of the crash.
Qsynth, on that system, is configured to use jack, and it reports
that jack is not there, and that it can't continue without it. At
that point, I can click the "Setup" button on Qsynth, and change
the audio to PulseAudio, but after hitting the OK button, Qsynth
exits, and when I restart it, it again reports that it cannot run
because jack is not running.
I did not find any ".qsynth" or ".fluidsynth" folder to change the
I tried re-installing qjackctl, but that did not make any
difference. Qjackctl still crashes. In the past, I have not been
able to figure out how to run fluidsynth from the command line
successfully. If I could, I could possibly run fluidsynth that
I know to all of you, running fluidsynth from the command line is
easy and natural, but using a GUI application (Qsynth) is
difficult. For me, it is the exact opposite.
So it seems I have hit a dead-end on this, unless someone has any
The partition I built fluidsynth on (on that machine) is now
unusable as a music workstation, but I plan to install
Ubuntu-Studio on it anyway, so it isn't a terrible loss. Still,
it would be nice if I could somehow fix it (for the time being).
On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 22:50 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
On 07/31/2012 10:39 PM, Aere Greenway wrote:
> I performed the steps for retrieving and building the release-candidate
> Though it complained that DOXYGEN (or something like that)
> was not found, it seemed to build and install without any error.
The doxygen error can be ignored.
> I can supply printouts of the entire process, if that would be helpful.
> My testing also went well, since I did not discover any problems.
> The problem I have in doing this testing, is that I have no way of
> knowing if it used the libfluidsynth1 generated during the process, or
> what I was using before (the repackaged version of your PPA for Ubuntu
Try verifying by running these two commands:
1) "which fluidsynth", should return /usr/local/bin/fluidsynth
2) "ldd /usr/local/bin/fluidsynth | grep fluid", should return
"libfluidsynth.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libfluidsynth.so.1" (followed by a
If the second one fails, i e, points to somewhere in "/usr/lib" instead
of the newly installed file in "/usr/local/lib", try running "sudo
ldconfig", then try again.
Let me know how this goes.
fluid-dev mailing list