Re: [fluid-dev] Allow soundfonts to be searched from multiple directorie

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Allow soundfonts to be searched from multiple directories
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2018 06:15:40 +0100

> If we decide to read from an environment variable, we should read it from the
> existing @address@hidden

FLUID_DAEMON_ENV_FILE is a cmake variable, specifically one that points to a
config file for running fluidsynth as global systemd service. This isn't
suitable, I was referring to a shell environment variable.

> to allow the maintainer to set a reasonable default

That's the point: A package maintainer doesn't have the knowledge to evaluate a
"reasonable default". That's why it is not done, see DEFAULT_SOUNDFONT.

> The user shouldn't have to manually edit the path themselves.

Of course he has to. Neither any maintainer nor fluidsynth are responsible for
guessing how the user organizes his soundfont collection. Frankly, if the
"potentially non-technical user" is too lazy to specify a proper path to the
soundfont(s) he wants to use, I expect him to take the time and set up proper
search paths *once*, because those are only suitable in his unique environment.

Tom