Re: [fluid-dev] Publish MIDI event constants

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Publish MIDI event constants
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:52:16 +0100

Hi,

I also share the concern to make them public.

However... I think the request to have them public is perfectly understandable. The documentation to fluid_player_set_player_callback is as follows:

 * Change the MIDI callback function. This is usually set to
 * fluid_synth_handle_midi_event, but can optionally be changed
 * to a user-defined function instead, for intercepting all MIDI
 * messages sent to the synth. You can also use a midi router as
 * the callback function to modify the MIDI messages before sending
 * them to the synth.

So the intended use-case (intercepting TEXT events for a karaoke player) seems to be in scope for this callback. We even have public functions/macros available to get information about an event, like its type for example. But if a user wants to actually interpret the returned information, he needs to recreate fluidsynth internals in his own code. That is a little inconsistent, in my opinion.

Cheers,

   Marcus