Re: [fluid-dev] Support for SF4 (FLAC) format?

From: Garth Hjelte
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Support for SF4 (FLAC) format?
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 09:08:13 -0800

Can I ask why are smaller SoundFonts are even a need in this day of age? I
mean, it's NICE to compress data, but isn't this a whole lot of worry and work
for minimal - even useless - benefit?

The other observation I have is that PLEASE if anyone is going to fiddle with
the SoundFont format and make some unofficial v3 or v4, administrate it with
lots of authority and a heavy hand. And it seems to me that having to have a v4
just means that v3 was done half-baked. One of the great things about the
SoundFont spec/format is that a parser can accept or reject opcodes it either
doesn't understand or aren't written correctly, thus allowing addition of
features without breaking current loaders ability to load them.

Garth Hjelte
Sampler User