Re: [fluid-dev] Ubuntu 20.04: Rosegarden - Fluidsynth version mismatch

From: Dorien James
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Ubuntu 20.04: Rosegarden - Fluidsynth version mismatch
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 18:34:44 +0100

Thank you for the suggestions and sorry to be so slow providing an update. I've spent the last week grappling with JACK's unwillingness to make any sound at all.  The good news is that it's working now, the bad news is that I have no idea which of the things I tweaked actually made the final difference.

My experience with the three suggestions was:

(1)    Install libfluidsynth1.

I'd like to, but only version 2 seems to be available.

$ sudo apt-get install libfluidsynth1
[sudo] password for dorien:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libfluidsynth1 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libfluidsynth1' has no installation candidate

$ apt list fluidsynth -a
Listing... Done
fluidsynth/focal,now 2.1.1-2 amd64 [installed]

fluidsynth/focal 2.1.1-2 i386

(2)    Install Tony Schnitzel's fork of fluidsynth-dssi.

This would have been ideal, but (unless I'm missing something) there's no simple "apt-get install..." option.The github files seem to provide what's needed by those hardcore Linux users who are happy to compile and build their own software from source. Alas, I'm not that clever. Is there something I've missed?

(3)    Use plain fluidsynth without the plugin

Yes, this works fine! In fact, I'm now not sure why I used the DSSI wrapper in the first place.

===========

If Google brings anyone else here after having the same problem, the critical steps to getting it JACK, fluidsynth and Rosegarden working for me have been:

-    start qjackctl
-    set qjackctl Setup-Settings-Advanced-Server prefix to pasuspender -- /usr/bin/jackd. This temporarily suspends Pulseaudio while JACK is running, preventing Pulseaudio's tendency to restart itself and then get in the way
-    set qjackctl Setup-Settings-Parameters-Interface to the correct value, which depends on your hardware setup. If in doubt, try them all
-    use qjackctl to start JACK
-    run qsynth to start Fluidsynth
-    start Rosegarden
-    click Studio-Manage MIDI Devices and ensure that the qsynth option is chosen under MIDI Playback and MIDI outputs
-    for each MIDI track
    -    select the track (click on track name)
    -    under Track Parameters, set Device to General MIDI Device and set Instrument to the MIDI channel (I just match this to the track number)
    -    under Instrument Parameters - Program, choose the instrument for that channel.

Thank you both for your help.