Re: [fluid-dev] Failure to bind server socket: 98

From: hamish
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Failure to bind server socket: 98
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 09:08:44 +1100

On 25/2/22 08:50, Ben Gonzales via fluid-dev wrote:
Hi all.

I'm running FS on a RPi4, but I get this problem with all other versions of Pi I've tried.

I"m using Telnet to communicate with the running server. When I shut down the server, to make program changes, and restart it quickly I get this error, and the server fails to start:

fluidsynth: error: Failed to bind server socket: 98

If I wait a minute or so, it restarts happily.

It's standard UNIX sockets behaviour unless the code specifies the SO_REUSEADDR socket option. It's a security mechanism to stop a new program taking over an old program's socket and receiving any new packets or connections intended for the old program.

Fluidsynth would need to set this socket option to fix this.

Hamish