francine-dev

[Francine-dev] nasty pinnacle

From: Sidney Clarke
Subject: [Francine-dev] nasty pinnacle
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:22:05 -0500

Night fell, but neither husband nor wife spoke a word. But at last Ahirgram started a newspaper. In fact, when he was ill, he actuallycalled in the assistant surgeon. Encouraged by this thought, I wrote a farce.
Everybody in the household had finished the evening meal, andgone to sleep. After a good deal of thought I decided that I would writebooks.
Shehas grown up from a girl into a woman, and yet through familiarityescaping her husbands notice.
I think my friend had a suspicion that I had come in search of hiddentreasure. There wasno longer the least trace of fear. Thewatchmans call was heard as he passed.
A kerosene lamp was dimlyburning in the melancholy solitude and silence of her room. To this his wife would answer: Rice water.
I started back, and my wife also trembled.
And I would growl out at her: Go away, go away; cant you see that Iam busy now?
His wife, without making any reply, asked him: What has happened?
It never evenoccurred to him to look for work.
But at last Ahirgram started a newspaper. His dirty coat of Assam silk wasgreasy and open at the front. On the roof of the boat the boatmen were at their evening prayer. She lay like a flowerwhich has dropped on the dust at the end of the day. Giribala stood near the door stiff and silent, like amarble image gazing at vacancy.
It came to thisat last that after dark I was not able to speak a word to Monorama.
But onhearing it I fell to the ground in a swoon.
You had only tolook at him to see that he was a modernised Bengali. Yet I never got money in the measure that I got fun and fame.
Again he questionedme: What have you come here for? His whole body besmeared with mud, Baid-yanath made his way up intothe house.
But the rampart of silence is not the surest means of self-defence. She has no children and, having been married into a wealthy family,has very little work to do.
Giribala stood near the door stiff and silent, like amarble image gazing at vacancy.
Everybody in the household had finished the evening meal, andgone to sleep.
I smiled inwardly but surrendered myself completely to her hands.