freeipmi-devel

[Freeipmi-devel] IBM e325 and GNU FreeIPMI

From: Anand Babu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] IBM e325 and GNU FreeIPMI
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 07:48:42 -0700

IBM e325 BMC firmware has lots of bugs.

I got bmc-info to work inband. SMBIOS reports that BMC is memory
mapped, but it is really io ports based. I also found that GNU
FreeIPMI was checking for SMBIOS record length to be > 16 bytes which
should be >= 16 bytes.

You should also unload OpenIPMI kernel modules before running GNU
FreeIPMI tools. (lsmod | grep ipmi and rmmod all of them).

Rest of the tools are waiting for data from BMC indefinitely in the
middle of I/O. I tried fiddling with poll interval. but no luck.
Proper fix should come from IBM.

Best approach for now is to use GNU FreeIPMI in out-of-band mode.
athena /root# bmc-info
Device ID:         0
Device Revision:   1
Firmware Revision: 1.72