freeipmi-devel

Re: [Freeipmi-devel] FW: [bug #24300] ipmiconsole cannot connect to vari

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] FW: [bug #24300] ipmiconsole cannot connect to various Intel servers
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 10:27:28 -0800

Hey Andrew,

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 09:14 -0800, Cress, Andrew R wrote:
> Retry, first send failed.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why this would be an intel corner case.  Does
intel return 0 for the accepted_character_count even if it accepted all
the data?  So a return of 0 is just assumed to be equivalent to "all
data accepted"??  I don't currently handle this case in ipmiconsole.
The assumption is if you didn't accept any data, then you resend data
just as if there was a partial acceptance.

> lib/lanplus/lanplus.c:ipmi_lanplus_open_session() has an intelplus condition
> for privilege defaults

I handle this one:

      /* IPMI Workaround
       *
       * Intel IPMI 2.0 implementations don't support the highest level
privilege.
       */
      if (c->config.workaround_flags & IPMICONSOLE_WORKAROUND_INTEL_2_0_SESSION)
        privilege_level = c->config.privilege_level;
      else
        privilege_level = IPMI_PRIVILEGE_LEVEL_HIGHEST_LEVEL;

> lib/lanplus/lanplus_crypt.c:lanplus_rakp4_hmac_matches() has two intelplus
> cases

handle this one:

  /* IPMI Workaround
   *
   * Intel IPMI 2.0 implementations respond with the integrity check
   * value based on the integrity algorithm rather than the
   * authentication algorithm.
   */
  if (c->config.workaround_flags & IPMICONSOLE_WORKAROUND_INTEL_2_0_SESSION)
    {
      if (c->config.integrity_algorithm == IPMI_INTEGRITY_ALGORITHM_NONE)
        authentication_algorithm = IPMI_AUTHENTICATION_ALGORITHM_RAKP_NONE;
      else if (c->config.integrity_algorithm ==
IPMI_INTEGRITY_ALGORITHM_HMAC_SHA1_96)
        authentication_algorithm = IPMI_AUTHENTICATION_ALGORITHM_RAKP_HMAC_SHA1;
      else if (c->config.integrity_algorithm ==
IPMI_INTEGRITY_ALGORITHM_HMAC_MD5_128)
        authentication_algorithm = IPMI_AUTHENTICATION_ALGORITHM_RAKP_HMAC_MD5;
      else if (c->config.integrity_algorithm ==
IPMI_INTEGRITY_ALGORITHM_MD5_128)
        /* achu: I have not been able to reverse engineer this.  So accept it */
        return 1;
    }
  else
    authentication_algorithm = c->config.authentication_algorithm;

> lib/lanplus/lanplus_crypt.c:lanplus_generate_rakp3_authcode() has an
> intelplus case for privilege defaults

Ahh, this might be it.  In ipmipower and libfreeipmi's ipmi 2.0 code I
handle this properly.  But in ipmiconsole I seem to have accidentally
put this code in the RAKP1 section.  That might be the reason that I'm
checking the return value from the RAKP2 incorrectly.

I'll do some more auditing to see if I can find why the other fellow's
example isn't working on the INTELs.  I noticed he is using a NULL
username/password.  You mind given my next tar.gz a test run to see if I
caught everything?

BTW, it seems as though ipmiutil does not implement all of the Intel
workarounds I found.  There were a number of corner cases for
username/password lengths.  Here's what I have in my comments.

      /* IPMI Workaround (achu)
       *
       * Discovered on SE7520AF2 with Intel Server Management Module
       * (Professional Edition)
       *
       * The username must be padded despite explicitly not being
       * allowed.  "No Null characters (00h) are allowed in the name".
       * Table 13-11 in the IPMI 2.0 spec.
       */

      /* IPMI Workaround (achu)
       *
       * Discovered on SE7520AF2 with Intel Server Management Module
       * (Professional Edition)
       *
       * When the authentication algorithm is HMAC-MD5-128 and the
       * password is greater than 16 bytes, the Intel BMC truncates the
       * password to 16 bytes when generating keys, hashes, etc.  So we
       * have to do the same when generating keys, hashes, etc.
       */

Does ipmiutil handle these too?  Or is it possible Intel fixed some
issues but not others in newer firmware?

Al