freeipmi-devel

Re: [Freeipmi-devel] sun20 workaround doesn't

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] sun20 workaround doesn't
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:31:21 +0100

Al Chu <address@hidden> writes:

> Hehe.  It's funny you mention this.  I had a request/comment on this
> topic just last week.  First, please take a look at my original post on
> this for what I was thinking of supporting:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg00710.html

For what it's worth, although that suggests you don't want sensor data
from heterogeneous hosts, but that's one of my application.
Specifically for out-of-band temperature data fed to ganglia, the ELOM,
ILOM, and Supermicro values can be translated to consistent names,
though I'm not currently doing that.

> The work involved is somewhat deep

Just as well I asked, then, before trying to dive in!  I could probably
help out, given instructions for part of the job, if it will partition.

> (that I've naturally been putting
> off, but it is now higher priority b/c it came as a request from someone
> internal to my organization).  As far as I can tell, it would take:
>
> A) re-work a lot of the config file parsing code to be able to take an
> additional argument.  Based on other people's requests, this would be
> for all the config file options.  It could be made easier if instead of
> modifying all config file options to take the additional argument, we
> made new config file options, like:

I'd initially have thought of trying to have host-specific sections in
the file, e.g. with the common `[<header name>]' style, but I doubt it
matters from a user point of view, so it would be a question of what's
easiest to program.