freeipmi-devel

Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Need help in IPMI over serial

From: Anand Babu Periasamy
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Need help in IPMI over serial
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:25:14 -0700

Hi Neha,
You can also take a look at this document I wrote long time ago.
http://www.gnu.org/software/freeipmi/ipmi-over-ts2000.pdf

Do you really think you want to manage IPMI over serial port? If you
send special key codes to the serial port, BMC switches into IPMI
terminal mode, where you can type IPMI basic high level commands. It
is limited, but requires no coding. I am not sure if this terminal
mode is well supported by major vendors. There is also way to
establish PPP session and use LAN interface over it. I have not tried
it.

My preference is to use IPMI over LAN or inband approach. Serial ports
are dying slowly. If you are paranoid about security over Ethernet
access, then you can proceed with the serial port interface.

Andy gave you a very good reply.

--
Anand Babu Periasamy
Blog [http://www.unlocksmith.org]