freeipmi-devel

Re: [Freeipmi-devel] [Freeipmi-users] FreeIPMI on NetBSD (partial patch)

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] [Freeipmi-users] FreeIPMI on NetBSD (partial patch)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:02:29 -0700

Hi Ben,

On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 20:36 -0700, Ben C. wrote:
> seems pretty dead.  I probably should of posted In freeipmi-users@ to
> begin with.

freeipmi-devel is alive and well, I just didn't check over the weekend.

> I finally got it to compile using this patch I made myself (kind of,
> thanks mostly to the NetBSD developer 'joerg' who wrote the asm*
> functions, I'm pretty sure he did.)
>
> http://pastebin.com/9mQpAuDZ
> In text: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=9mQpAuDZ

I'm not sure why inb/outb aren't in your system to begin with.  I'll
have to let more BSD knowledgeable folks respond.

> However, it still doesn't work:
>
> # bmc-config --checkout
> could not find inband device
>
> I've tried various drivers and devices although they were either
> incorrect

What do you mean by "they were incorrect"?  Not working?  Or reporting
the wrong information?  Was there any software provided by the vendor
that at least minimally worked to show the system did indeed support
IPMI?

>  or freeipmi is broken in a way I do not understand nor how
> to fix.

Assuming the inb/outb implementation you have is correct, there are a
multitude of things that could be going on.  Your system may not
advertise the proper address to communicate with, so FreeIPMI is simply
be trying defaults (which may not work).

Lets start by seeing what is on your system.  Can you run ipmi-locate,
then run tools like dmidecode? (NetBSD's equivalent tool might be
something different).

> There was some messages on the mailing lists about NetBSD
> support a year or two ago, -- I'm surprised it doesn't work 'out of
> the box' already.

Others added NetBSD support into FreeIPMI, so I can't comment why it
didn't work outright.  NetBSD could have changed, or maybe they made an
incorrect assumption, or a bug could have creeped in to.

Al