freeipmi-devel

Re: [Freeipmi-devel] can't read tempeature info

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] can't read tempeature info
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:55:01 -0700

Hi Franco,

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 02:26 -0700, Franco Brasolin wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > On the Dell Poweredge node I have access to, via freeipmi I get:
> >
> > # ipmi-sensors
> > ID | Name         | Type        | Reading    | Units | Event
> > 1  | Temp         | Temperature | N/A        | C     | N/A
> > 2  | Temp         | Temperature | N/A        | C     | N/A
> > 3  | Temp         | Temperature | N/A        | C     | N/A
> > 4  | Temp         | Temperature | N/A        | C     | N/A
> > 5  | Ambient Temp | Temperature | 17.00      | C     | 'OK'
> > <snip>
> >
> > and via ipmitool
> >
> > # ipmitool -I free sensor list
> > Temp             | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na
> > | na        | 85.000    | 90.000    | na
> > Temp             | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na
> > | na        | 85.000    | 90.000    | na
> > Temp             | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na
> > | na        | na        | na        | na
> > Temp             | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na
> > | na        | na        | na        | na
> > Ambient Temp     | 17.000     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | 3.000
> > | 8.000     | 42.000    | 47.000    | na
> > <snip>
> >
> > So the exact same output on my system.  Lets hack them both to NOT check
> > for the sensor-scanning disabled bit.
> >
> > (turning on --entity-sensor-names)
> >
> > ID | Name                             | Type                     | Reading
> >   | Units | Event
> > 1  | Processor 1 Temp                 | Temperature              | -69.00
> >   | C     | 'OK'
> > 2  | Processor 2 Temp                 | Temperature              | -65.00
> >   | C     | 'OK'
> > 3  | Power Supply 1 Temp              | Temperature              | 40.00
> >   | C     | 'OK'
> > 4  | Power Supply 2 Temp              | Temperature              | 40.00
> >   | C     | 'OK'
> > 5  | System Board Ambient Temp        | Temperature              | 17.00
> >   | C     | 'OK'
> >
> > Temp             | -69.000    | degrees C  | ok    | na        | na
> > | na        | 85.000    | 90.000    | na
> > Temp             | -65.000    | degrees C  | ok    | na        | na
> > | na        | 85.000    | 90.000    | na
> > Temp             | 40.000     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | na
> > | na        | na        | na        | na
> > Temp             | 40.000     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | na
> > | na        | na        | na        | na
> > Ambient Temp     | 17.000     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | 3.000
> > | 8.000     | 42.000    | 47.000    | na
> >
> > Aha!  It seems that your version of ipmitool has been altered to act
> > differently than the normal ipmitool.
>
> yes, you're right
> ipmitool was already installed (vers. 1.8.8 ), and I don't know how it
> was installed and/or if it's a special modified version.
> Now I have just installed the latest version 1.8.11 and the behaviour is
> changed, ie: only "Ambient temp" is displayed.

Ahh.  I did some checking, and it seems the SCANNING_DISABLED fix was
added post-ipmitool-1.8.8.  It seems your version was just old (ipmitool
1.8.8 was released mid-2006).

> > I can easily put in a workaround flag (e.g. -W ignorescanningbit or
> > something) to deal with this for Dell motherboards.  However, before
> > doing that there is an additional question to be answered.  Are the
> > temperatures of -69, -65, 40&  40 correct or incorrect??  At the
> > minimum, the temperatures of -69&  -65 seem highly incorrect for
> > processor temperatures (but as Andy said earlier, it's possible they are
> > margin sensors, but nothing indicates that).
>
> I think Andy is right, please have a look to this page:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hardware.dell.poweredge/25491
>
> and
>
> http://www.intel.com/design/xeon/datashts/313355.htm  section 6.3.1.1

Ahhh, interesting.  I have a different motherboard w/ margin temperature
sensors, but they report thresholds of about +5 degrees (e.g. it's gone
"too positive").  In contrast, it seems Dell gives (what I assume to be
the) normal threshold of 85/90C.

> > I am wondering, does Dell supply any software that you might be able to
> > try out to see what "Dell approved" readings are?  That way we know what
> > should be done.
>
> there's OMSA (OpenManage Server Administrator) available
>   at the DELL site, but I didn't try it
>

> So now: is it right to modify the code to don't test disabled sensors,
> as you wrote before:

>  > So the question is why is your ipmitool working (or atleast appears to
>  > be working)?  Because the ipmitool I see from sourceforge checks for
>  > this bit and will not output if it is detected.
>  >
>  >          } else if (!(rsp->data[1]&  SCANNING_DISABLED)) {
>  >                  validread = 0;
>
> or not ???
> and if yes, will this modification be available in one of next freeipmi
> release or do I have to do in my own  version ?

Now it's clear to me that these sensors are "for real".  The fact that
Dell's motherboard reports "scanning disabled" is a bug in their
firmware.  I need to add a workaround to deal with the scanning disabled
bit.  I'll try to get your a beta tar.gz sometime today (or perhaps
it'll be morning for you when you get into work :P).

Al