freeipmi-devel

Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Sensor thresholds and sensor capabilities bits

From: Liebig, Holger
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Sensor thresholds and sensor capabilities bits
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 08:44:13 +0200

Hi Albert,

> Hey Holger,
>
> I've been re-reading this section and now I'm confused by it.  I have to
> admit, I'm not entirely sure how I came to my original interpretation, but
> your guess that I read "unreadable" and stopped is as good a guess as any.
>
> > Maybe the value was first set in the SDR's when support for the
> > optional Get Sensor Thresholds cmd was not yet available in the
> > firmware, or by mistake.
>
> After thinking about it, I think this interpretation may be correct.  It
> seems to be verified by atleast 1 motherboard I have on site that has the
> same situation you describe.  It has 11b set for the threshold access
> support.

[...]
> However, when calling "Get Sensor Thresholds" against this sensor I get a
> completion code of CDh = "Command illegal for specified sensor or record
> type."
>
> I think the compliant thing to do would be to get thresholds from the SDR
> instead of via Get Sensor Thresholds of the threshold_access ==
> fixed/unreadable.
[Liebig, Holger]
This sounds reasonable.

> Would this work for you Holger?  Or would we still need to the vendor
> specific exception?  Attached is a patch I made to test this out and it
> works on the motherboard I have.
[Liebig, Holger]

The patch works also fine with our systems. It would be great if this would be
included in future versions of FreeIPMI.

Thanks,
Holger

P.S. Regarding non linear sensors: this can be solved in most cases by "Get
Sensor Reading Factors" cmd and the actual reading or threshold value. 10 years
ago we had one 1U system which used this for fan sensors.