freeipmi-devel

[Freeipmi-devel] HP iLO 3 & 4

From: dan farmer
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] HP iLO 3 & 4
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 07:55:24 -0700

Just some IPMI news to brighten one's day.

Someone on the net was asking me how to disable IPMI's cipher 0.  The easiest way I could figure would be to use bmc-config (thanks!) - something like:

bmc-config -u USER -p PASSWORD -h 10.0.0.1. -c  --key-pair="Rmcpplus_Conf_Privilege:Maximum_Privilege_Cipher_Suite_Id_0= Unused"

(-c is commit, the long strings are the section and the key/value pair)

The person couldn't get it working, though, despite various combinations (e.g. supplying bmc-config with a file to commit, etc.  Even tried ipmitool to no avail.)… nothing was working, and they finally asked HP about it.  HP responded with ""We are aware of the CIPHER 0 issue on iLO3 and 4. iLO3 1.60 and iLO4 1.30 will come with the fix.They are on the final QA testings and its expected to be released by end-July /begining August."

In sum, apparently on at least some versions of HP's iLO 3 & 4 it's not possible to disable cipher 0.

I don't know if this is the case in other vendor implementations, but if anyone knows of one, I'd be delighted to hear about it.  If you run HP's… well, watch out for now, I guess.

dan