freeipmi-devel

[Freeipmi-devel] IPMI over TCP?

From: dan farmer
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] IPMI over TCP?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 13:44:37 -0700

Hi folks -

Has anyone out there ever seen or have you ever done anything with IPMI over TCP?

In the spec pretty much the only time they talk about TCP is in:

13.2 Required ASF/RMCP Messages for IPMI-over-LAN

The following class=ASF messages under RMCP must be supported in a system implementing the IPMI LAN interfaces over TCP/IP-UDP.

[…]

ASF Presence Ping message REQUIRED.

In scans I see lots of systems answering to TCP 623; nmap lists it as “oob-ws-http”, but it appears to simply detect the openness of it, not that it actually does something.

I’d always meant to look into to this, and I could have sworn I had it working awhile back, but I my recent efforts to put the UPD payload of both Get Channel Authentication Capabilities and the ASF Ping and don't get a valid response back (most often I see something like "00 00 00 02 09 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00”)…

So does anyone know about any implementations out there? Is TCP 623 actually used for IPMI, or for other OOB protos, or…?

I don’t have any direct access to a system that uses TCP 623, so I don’t want to beat on it too much without knowing more.

Thanks for any RFTMs or whatever -

dan