freeipmi-users

[Freeipmi-users] Re: FreeIPMI help needed

From: Bala.A
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Re: FreeIPMI help needed
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:59:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi Abhishek,

> Thank you very much for your quick reply and help.
> I am very new for this technology, so would require some help of yours.
>
> I have downloaded freeipmi-0.2.0-beta0.tar.gz.
> Now I have a Dell poweredge-800 server with FC4 running on it.
> I am facing some configuration problems on that machine.

Dell website says Poweredge 800 is IPMI 1.5 compliance.  We haven't tested
FreeIPMI on this.  It would be very helpful us, if you test it in on the
server.

> 1. Is freeipmi-0.2.0-beta0 compatible with this environment
>    (Dell poweredge-800 server with FC4) ?

It should be compatible.  Just compile/install freeipmi-0.2.0-beta0 and
run tools like ipmi-locate/bmc-info.  If bmc-info works fine, you go ahead
of running other tools like ipmi-sensors, ipmi-sel, bmc-config ...

> 2. What configuration is needed for bios setting of BMC (SOL) ? i.e. How
> to enable BMC for SOL ?

There is no SOL support in IPMI 1.5 Spec (IPMI 2.0 Spec supports).  SOL in
dell poweredge 800 should be proprietary implementation and you have to
their proprietary tools for SOL.

Thanks.

Bala
---