freeipmi-users

[Freeipmi-users] in-band failure on Suns

From: Dave Love
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] in-band failure on Suns
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 13:12:48 +0100

I normally only do things out-of-band with freeipmi, but I've found that
it doesn't work in-band on three different sorts of Sun (with which
ipmitool is happy).  At least one case looks like a bug, but I'm
wondering whether there's something I can do to make it work and what
debugging information might be useful.

These systems are running opensuse 10.3 (a 2.6.22.19-based kernel).  The
ipmi_msghandler, ipmi_devintf, and ipmi_si modules are loaded in all
cases.  I also tried unsuccessfully with the relevant i2c modules for
SSIF.

bmc-info (without options) produces these errors:

x2200M2 (ELOM):
 ipmi_cmd_get_device_id: driver timeout
x4100 (ILOM 2):
 ipmi_cmd_get_device_id: internal system error
x4200M2 (ILOM 2):
 could not find inband device

It works OK on our Supermicros (where the driver has to be loaded with
"options ipmi_si type=kcs ports=0xca8 regspacings=4", in case that's
relevant).