freeipmi-users

Re: [Freeipmi-users] SUNBMC failure

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] SUNBMC failure
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 10:02:31 -0700

Hey Dave,

> Is there a good reason it's not shipped with freeipmi, as it is with
> ipmitool?

Honestly, after your e-mail, I had to research it b/c I had
forgotten :-)

GPL and the CDDL (the Sun license) have incompatibilities with each
other (see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html), which is why
I did it this way.  However, it appears the incompatibilities may exist
only w/ linking and not with code.  So presumably I could copy the code
in.  But I'm not sure.  I've been trying to figure this out, but as you
can expect, licenses are hard to understand :-)  I'll ask around, see if
I can tweak this or not.

> Anyhow, surely it shouldn't give an internal error on Solaris, in
> contrast to the behaviour under GNU/Linux:
>   # bmc-info -D SUNBMC
>   bmc-info: device not found
> I'd expect it to bail out if HAVE_BMC_INTF_H isn't true.

Hmmm.  I think the reason it fails like that on Linux is b/c /dev/bmc
doesn't exist.  This is in contrast to Solaris where /dev/bmc does
exist, but something doesn't allow the code to work with it (thus
"device not found" would not be a good error code).  Looking through the
error code list, IPMI_ERR_DEVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED is probably the better
one.  Sound like a good error code to change to?

Al

--
Albert Chu
address@hidden