freeipmi-users

Re: [Freeipmi-users] Problem pasting data into ipmiconsole

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Problem pasting data into ipmiconsole
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 10:23:15 -0700

Hi David,

Lets see on line 1001, we see the packet that is being sent w/ your
data.  You can see in the character_data buffers lots of "20h 30h" hex,
which is ascii spaces and 0's.

As you deduced properly, the remote BMC is nacking the packet.
According to the IPMI spec, "the BMC is unable to accept all character
data from this packet."

Well that sucks.  It seems the Dell BMC just can't handle that much
simultaneous data being sent.  I tried this on some motherboards I have
locally that are not Dells and these BMCs were able to handle much
larger cut & pastes with ease.

We could program a workaround/option into ipmiconsole/libipmiconsole
that could max-cap the number of characters a "SOL Remote Console to
BMC" packet is allowed to send at the same time, to alleviate this
situation for your BMC.  libimiconsole could even be smart enough to
recognize when too many NACKs happen in a row and try to decrease the
characters sent in one packet, although I'm not sure how hard that would
be to program right now.  It's a bit more sophisticated and would take
time, but the workaround option would be much easier.

Al