freesci-develop

Re: [jameson: Re: [freesci-develop] FreeSCI configuration]

From: Walter van Niftrik
Subject: Re: [jameson: Re: [freesci-develop] FreeSCI configuration]
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:35:08 +0200

Christoph Reichenbach wrote:

if we were to factor things
out a little, relocating config file and command-line argument parsing
into a separate module, different platforms could use different 'main'
files (I believe that the DC port already does something like that,
but please don't quote me on that as Walter currently isn't in
shouting range).
The DC port uses the regular 'main', but there are a few #ifdef's to take care of some things:

- At startup the dreamcast-specific menu is called. This menu scans for SCI games and displays the directories that contain a SCI game. If the user selects a directory all the menu does is change the working directory to that one and return. The menu also takes care of the config file. Only 2 or 3 options are 'available' in the DC port. Those are saved in a binary format on the memory card. The menu allows users to change those options. The menu will translate those 2 or 3 'binary' options into a regular freesci config file and save it on the ramdisk.

- Before a game is started, mirrored files belonging to that game (if any) will be loaded from the memory card, decompressed and stored on the ramdisk.

- After a game is finished, the same thing happens in the opposite direction.

Now, what I'd really like to see is a cross-platform menu with full option setting capabilities (like freesci-setup). :) I think Hugues' menu is a good first step in that direction.

Regards,

Walter van Niftrik