CFF and charstring formats [was: cleaning up FT2]

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: CFF and charstring formats [was: cleaning up FT2]
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:22:59 -0500 (EST)

> Other than that, there probably be a few changes in the internal
> driver interface when we complete the Type 1 driver, and add the
> CFF/Type 2 driver.

My understanding is that CFF will take both Type 1 and Type 2
charstrings, with the default being Type 2.

The CFF spec. is rather unclear on this.  However, the source of my
information is a posting from Ian Kemmish on comp.fonts.

Here is the gist of it:

--

>In other words Type 1 has been subsumed by TrueType. Type 1 fonts are
>just a subset of TrueType fonts. Soon Type 1 font technology will be
>no more than a footnote in the history books.

No.  Opentype support for PostScript fonts is for CFF format fonts
only.  CFF fonts may contain either type 1 or type 2 format charstring
data, but even if they contain type 1 data, it's wrapped up
differently to .pfa and .pfb fonts.

Tom