Re: more FT2 Mac ponderings

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: more FT2 Mac ponderings
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 23:39:53 +0100

At 5:16 PM -0500 01-03-2000, Benjamin Fry wrote:
>i agree with just on the 'main issue'. perhaps the thing to do for the
>other platforms is to include apps that can convert the mac's
>FOND/NFNT/LWFN/etc. files to something more useful on other platforms..
>i've done such a thing in java before (including full resource fork
>parsing from a windows machine..) so if there is consensus on what might
>be useful i could look into implementing such a beast.

Ha, another volunteer...

>as for the mac-specific implementation.. something ugly like converting
>the stuff in a temporary directory and passing that filename to be opened
>using the ansi streams stuff seems the most generic solution (it isolates
>all the mac code best).. though ick! it's kinda gross..

I don't think that's neccesary: the solution I have in mind now is to
supply an fond driver after all, and do one (minor) modification to
FT_Stream_New(). The stream object already has a pathname field, but it
isn't filled in by FT_Stream_New(). If a fix that, the fond driver can just
ignore the entire stream but the pathname, and can then peek at the FOND
resource, and create a new TT or T1 stream and pass that on to the
appropriate driver. Still feels a little bit kludgy, but I think that's the
best solution: it requires only a *minimal* patch to the general FT2 code,
and otherwise seems quite transparant.

Just