Re: Glyph Bitmap Caching in FreeType

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: Re: Glyph Bitmap Caching in FreeType
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 09:11:04 -0500

"Feinberg, Matthew" wrote:

> What I meant is (I guess I wasn't clear)... if FreeType 2 can render
> strings of text, where it does it get the bitmaps for the glyphs used in
> those strings?  Does it call other FreeType functions directly, or is
> there a hook so that an application can provide a caching mechanism, but
> still use FreeType 2 to render entire strings?

I wouldn't expect the results of a rasterized string necessarily be the
same as a tiling of the individually rasterized glyphs. That is because
there are issues like kerning and ligatures which might come into play
(if supported and enabled). That's why rasterizing a string can't be
implemented simply by mapping the glyph bitmaps, even though a primitive
implementation might fall back to that.

Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique