Re: some more issues with the new API

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: some more issues with the new API
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:19:30 +0100

(Once more replying to my own post)

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>I'v a couple of other issues with FT2 which are mostly
>naming and type conventions. One is the following:
>
>FT_Library is defined as a FT_LibraryRec_ *, yet
>function take a pointer to a Library as argument,
>thus you end up with a double indirection. Why is
>FT_Library a pointer ?

I answered:
>That's only true for FT_Init_FreeType, in which case it is a return value.
>All other functions take a plain FT_Library.

That still doens't answer your question, does it? ;-) I think the real
reason FT_Library is a pointer is because it is an opaque object. So in C
in needs to be a pointer, since there is no other way to make the fields of
FT_LibraryRec_ "private".

Perhaps David can give a better answer...

Just