"Smooth" renderer completed

From: David Turner
Subject: "Smooth" renderer completed
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 17:18:52 +0200

Hello developers,

  I'd like to announce that the "smooth" renderer is now completed.
  Among many performance improvements, it now supports large glyph
  rendering. Grab it from the CVS or wait tomorrow for the next build.

  The code will be moved from "demos/src/ftgrays.c" to "src/base/ftgrays.c"
  RSN and will become part of the library itself.

  I am now considering ditching the "standard" anti-aliasing raster,
  because the approximation algorithm used produces unpleasant artefacts
  that are really hard to remove. However, I'd like the opinion of fellow
  developers on this topic. Basically, the problem is:

   - the "standard" raster uses an approximation that works well in most
     of the cases, but sometimes produces unpleasant artefacts. And it has
     a few bugs that are hard to spot that prevent it from generating
     certain outlines..

   - the glyphs generated by the "smooth" renderer are somewhat a tiny bit
     fuzzier than those generated by the "standard" one, though this has
     been enhanced since its first release.

   - the "standard" raster contains logic to deal with drop-outs that cannot
     easily be inserted in the "smooth" one, due to major algorithmic
     differences. More generally, drop-out detection is near impossible
     with this new raster (though it produces light gray values).

   - the auto-hinting code I'm currently testing seems to get rid of most
     of the drop-outs, if not all of them, and the difference between renderers
     is really minor to me..

   Could I invite you to see for yourself the difference by using the "ftview"
   and "ftstring" demo programs. You can switch between the "standard" and
   "smooth" renderer any time by pressing the "g" key.

   I'd like to know if the "standard" rendering is too good to be forgotten,
   or if you believe that this will not impact legibility ?

Thanks in Advance,

- David