Re: Problems with freetype.h

From: Pavel Kankovsky
Subject: Re: Problems with freetype.h
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 22:18:52 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Pedriana, Paul wrote:

>    EXPORT_DEF(FT_Error)
>    FT_Outline_Get_Bitmap(FT_Library library,
>       FT_Outline* outline, FT_Bitmap* map);
> These declarations cause compile failures under C++
> because the names "map" and "matrix" are types that are
> part of the C++ standard template library (STL).

Declarators can introduce variable or parameter names that hide existing
names, including type names and template names. A compiler choking on such
a declaration is broken...unless it chokes because some broken header
(I shall name no <windows.h> here :>) #defined the name to something
silly.

BTW: IMHO, EXPORT_DEF() should be renamed to FT_EXPORT_DEF() in
freetype.h.

> A trivial fix would be to simply modify the declarations
> to use something like "map_" instead of "map", or whatever
> would be appropriate for freetype.

A trivial fix would be to remove parameter names completely but it should
not be necessary.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."