font metrics not available (FT2)

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: font metrics not available (FT2)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:28:03 -0400

I'm trying to set up a box containing a label. As I try to
compute the size, I realize that ascender etc. from the
Size_Metrics structure are zero !
At a closer look into the freetype.h header, I find the following note:

/* <Note>                                                                */
/*    This structure doesn't return the vertical ascender, descender,    */
/*    and height, as well as a few other esoteric properties.  One can   */
/*    however compute these through the size's x_scale and y_scale,      */
/*    applied to the relevant face properties.                           */

First of all, why is this so ? Is this just 'planned' but not
yet implemented ?
Second, what do you propose me to do ? Wait for a fix ? (we want to get a
major release of berlin out the door Real Soon Now, so I'm a bit nervous...)

In any case, I don't understand the above note at all. What are the
aforementioned
'face properties' if not the metrics we are talking about ?
I'd much apreciate any help !

Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique