small fix to autohinter

From: David Turner
Subject: small fix to autohinter
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:13:27 +0200

Hello,

  I have just committed a fix to the auto-hinter that solves one
  of its most annoying problem: some fonts couldn't be properly
  hinted because they didn't follow the "filling direction"
  convention of their respective format.

  Instead of relying of the what the font driver provides, the
  auto-hinter now automatically re-computes the direction for
  each glyph it loads.

  This solves the hinting problem encountered with many fonts
  that are apparently converted from TrueType to Type 1 (and
  respectively the other way), as well as many of the CJK fonts
  I have there (including the Arphic ones)..

  I thought this would be sufficiently important to announce
  it on the mailing list :-)

  I'm also working on the "bad circles" in Bitstream Charter, but
  I suspect I won't be able to fix this until I come back from my
  holidays..

  Also, some composites are incredibly spaced in some cases.
  I suspect a font driver bug, rather than a auto-hinter one
  though..

Thanks,

- David