ft_encoding_win_symbol

From: ckeil
Subject: ft_encoding_win_symbol
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:03:46 +0200

Hello David,

yes, we both talking about the infamous charcodes in the 0xFF00-0xFFFF
range.

Your first opinion was:

Well, according to the TrueType specification, the "symbol" encoding is
used for "Undefined character set or indexing scheme". Basically, this
means that the application must know how the glyphs are encoded within
the fonts, or in this case, that you should add the 0xF000 yourself to
your application..
We could provide this automatic translation to the core library though,
because many (old) Windows font use this so-called encoding.

in discussion with other developers you wrote later:

Well, I'd rather see it as the definition of a new enum like
"ft_encoding_win_symbol", and some code in 'src/sfnt' to detect the
0xF000 shift in the mapping..

My opinion was:
... ft_encoding_win_symbol incl. 0xF000 shift,
and default loading of the ft_encoding_win_symbol charmap if the font file
only contains this one, would be completely satisfy.

regards

Claudia