Return value of FT_Get_Char_Index

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Return value of FT_Get_Char_Index
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 20:52:53 -0400 (EDT)

As I previously stated in a previous email note, a Type 1 font might very well
have a *valid* glyph index of 0, even though the notes for FT_Get_Char_Index
state that 0 means not defined.

I propose that the return type of FT_Get_Char_Index get changed to FT_Int or
FT_Long and a return value of -1 means not defined.  Or, perhaps in the case of
Type 1 fonts (CFF fonts won't have this problem glyph because index 0 is always
for /.notdef), we add 1 to the return value, knowing that we should subtract one
later.  Or place the first glyph defined in the CharStrings dictionary into slot
1 instead of slot 0.  Just throwing out ideas...

Tom