Re: CFF Encoding & CharSet tables

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Re: CFF Encoding & CharSet tables
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:21:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Wes,

Could you send me patches for what you already have?  I am thinking that we can
`tag team' on this, if you would like.  Or I can pick up where you left off.

More below...

> I am currently working on this. I'm only doing it because no one else has
> signed up. Feel free to take over, if you like. Just let me know.  I'm working
> on several projects so it may take me until the end of October to finish.
>
> This is what I have done so far in my own work area using beta 8 as my
> baseline:
>
> Added CFF_CharSet and CFF_Encoding structures to 't2types.h'. Added
> corresponding fields charset_table and encoding_table to CFF_Font.  Currently,
> these are very simple and store tables in a format0 manner regardless of
> actual format.

I think format 0 is a good choice, regardless of how the table are stored in the
font.  The reason being is that it fits well with the psaux module table
functions.  But I am open to what you have.  I just need to see it.

> Added 2 functions, T2_Load_CFF_Font_Encoding and T2_Load_CFF_Font_CharSet to
> 't2objs.c'. These two functions are based on an unused function called
> CFF_Build_Unicode_Charmap which was accessing the same tables.  These
> functions seem to be working correctly.

Are these functions callbacks (like parse_charstrings and/or parse_encoding
in the type1z driver) ?

>  My 'todo' list includes:
>
>  Making CFF_CharSet and CFF_Encoding store format >0 in a way that mirrors how
> they are in font file, i.e. as ranges.

See above about format 0...

> Ensuring that my code conforms to freetype coding conventions. Are there
> published conventions? Is volume 3 of the programmer's guide out yet?

Talk to Werner about coding conventions.  I have been in the code long enough
now that I almosr code to that unspecified standard, but Werner will still
reformat my patches.  Its OK. :)

I don't know about the programmers guide.  Sorry...

> Testing...

Yes, a good thing...

Tom