Comparing FreeType and the TypeTool in Photoshop

From: Bart De Lathouwer
Subject: Comparing FreeType and the TypeTool in Photoshop
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 08:25:51 +0200

Hi all,

I've just been comparing FreeType and the TypeTool in Adobe Photoshop and
came to a distinct difference. (Picture file (tiff) at ftp://ftp.aigis.be/pub/bb.tiff (13K))

Before I continue, I use FreeType to produce characters for sport captions.
Most of the time I use small characters (between 22 and 48 points)

I rendered 3 strings using the Orator 15BT font at size 22
The 1st string is rendered at 4x the requested size (88) using FreeType, and then reduced 4x.
The 2nd string is rendered in Photoshop
The 3rd string is rendered in FreeType at size 22.

Observations:
Strings 1 and 2 are almmost identical, but the 3rd line is rather different. It's must leaner and
some characters are rendered differently (eg the g in Belgie).

For my purpose the first 2 string are better than the 3rd.

Question:
Is there a way in FreeType to produce 'fatter' characters at lower point sizes, so i don't have to
draw the string at 4x and then to shrink it.

Thanks
Bart De Lathouwer