Re: bounding box calculations

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: bounding box calculations
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:32:59 +0200 (CEST)

> Is there a reason why outline bounding boxes are computed by
> considering the control points of curves, rather than their extents?
> For example, the curve (0.0,0.0)-(0.5,5.0)-(1.0,0.0) has a bounding
> box of (0.0,0.0)-(1.0,2.5), but freetype2 looks as if it uses
> (0.0,0.0)-(1.0,5.0).

Yes.  Currently, FreeType returns CBoxes only (i.e., a bounding box
determined by its control points which always guarantees full
inclusion of the glyph).

The code for computing exact bounding boxes is missing (cf. ftbbox.h).
It has been removed during heavy reorganization and rewriting of
FreeType to become more modular, and it hasn't been added again.

I can't remember why David has omitted the code...