Re: [Devel] Re: Adding bold/italic style flags to Type1 fonts

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: Adding bold/italic style flags to Type1 fonts
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 12:20:21 -0800

> Adobe has a tech note that describes the weights and styles used in Type 1
> fonts.  Unfortunately, the name of the TN escapes me right now.

Pointers to this would be helpful; I'll see what I can find as well.

> And some fonts on the Macintosh actually use an oblique font when the
> italic variant is selected (Courier for one, and the older version of
> Optima.  The newer version of Optima has a true italic variant).

I have three separate mechanisms for selecting font styles; booleans for
bold/italic, slant style + font weight values and string style names.
Applications can simply set the bold/italic booleans, select among a range
of slant styles (roman, italic, oblique) with a range of weights (light,
medium, demi-bold, bold, black) or use complete string style selectors.

My goal here is to get the booleans working; it's probably the mechanism
used by simple applications and is necessary to avoid using modified
styles when applications request roman fonts.

address@hidden   XFree86 Core Team              SuSE, Inc.