Re: [Devel] Re: FIXED: viewing problems with CFF fonts

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: FIXED: viewing problems with CFF fonts
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 02:31:24 -0800

> We've finally decided to give descenders below the baseline a negative
> value in FreeType (uniformly for all formats supported).  Maybe
> non-intuitive for font experts, it is the `natural' way for most
> programmers/mathematicians etc.

I suppose; I'm not fond of taking an existing term and arbitrarily
changing the meaning though.  For those without any typographical
background, the surprise factor is not great, but anyone who has drawn
text with other systems is going to be mystified for quite a while.

I guess we'll get over it.

address@hidden   XFree86 Core Team              SuSE, Inc.