[Devel] Character mapping - HELP?

From: Niels A. Moseley
Subject: [Devel] Character mapping - HELP?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 17:28:32 +0100

Hi, all..

I want to render strings that normally get passed to the ExtTextOut
function in Windows. All works well until I come across the Symbol.ttf font
in conjunction with the 'ft_encoding_symbols' character map encoding.

Windows renders a 'theta' symbol when ExtTextOut is passed (BYTE)113. I
want to mimic this behaviour. But freetype 2 renders an 'empty' character.
I've looked at the charactermap translation but can't find anything quirky.
I must admit that I don't know a lot about this...

I've tried bypassing the translation to see if Windows directly uses the
character code as a glyph index but that doesn't work. There seems to be a
+32 offset.

I use FT_Select_Charmap() to change the current mapping. But whichever
mapping I use, it renders an in correct or empty glyph.

Does anybody know what is wrong here? Is it me, or is it Freetype?
Help is much appreciated.

Cheers, Niels.