Re: [Devel] Integer issues with FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Integer issues with FreeType
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:55:13 +0200 (CEST)

> I apologize in advance if this offends anyone, but I really do
> think that this will help us avoid problems in the future.  And I am
> willing to do the work, so its me that gets to wade through all the
> compiler warnings and weird results that will ensue from this change
> I feel is necessary.

Critique is never offending if it has some reason.

I suggest the following route (which will fill your weekend, I think):

  1) Use FT_PtrDist and FT_Offset throughout the code.  This is
     probably the most important thing to avoid core dumps.

  2) Check casts and mark suspicious ones for later inspection.

  3) Check for potential signed int <-> signed long problems and mark
     them.