Re: [Devel] Problems with bbox code and cubic bezier curves

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Re: [Devel] Problems with bbox code and cubic bezier curves
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:12:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Just,

> But I don't understand *why* to *ever* worry about an exact bounding box? If
> the
> outlines are decent, the cbox is fine, and if the outlines are not so decent,
> then the cbox may be too large, but why should FT care?

I'll give you an example (and it shouldn't surprise you, considering the topic
has been opened on the OpenType list):

Getting AFM data from OpenType/CFF fonts.  The AFM ought to have decent glyph
bbox info for post processing by tools like afm2tfm, etc...

Now, I know TTX will do what I want when I get around to it, but what about
ttf2afm?  It uses the bbox code for extracting bbox info from a TTF.  What
will happen when the code is extended to support OpenType/CFF fonts?

I can't speak fo others uses, but that is why I am all for getting exact bbox
information. :)

> To me, an exact bbox is only "nice to have", and therefore performance can't
> be
> an issue either. If performance is an issue, you can't beat the cbox! I don't
> believe that the cost of *always* calculating an exact bounding box weighs up
> against wasting some space in fairly uncommon cases. Non-conforming fonts?
> Blame
> the font. Rotated text? I really wouldn't care if it were slightly slower.
>
> (Oh, and you can't crash a cbox function due to weird input...)

Right.  I agree with most of your points.  As for crashing due to weird input:
that is a problems with the code that can be fixed (and will be fixed).

Tom