Re: [Devel] Using TrueType fonts with PCL5?

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Devel] Using TrueType fonts with PCL5?
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:49:01 +0000

On Tuesday 17 July 2001 15:06, Rich Stephens wrote:
|   Has anyone out there actually used TrueType fonts as SCALABLE fonts
|   (downloading them as scalable rather than bitmaps), AND used NON-latin
|   (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc) fonts?  We are trying to avoid trying to
|   download the fonts as bitmaps every time the point size changes.  The
| idea is for the end user to use their printer font utility software to
| download a TTF font and for us to be able to address it via its font
| download # when generating PCL for that printer.

Aren't PCL5 fonts in Bitstream (speedo) format?
I think they are. At least that was in original PCL5, don't know about PCL5e
or PCL5c.

In this case, you need to convert TrueType to Speedo format, and download
them. Don't know what kind of tool you can use for it, though.

|   We're trying to figure this out here and there's just too many fuzzy
| clouds (Even WITH the PCL5 tech ref manual and the PCL comparison guide
| books).  We would be highly appreciative if we could talk to someone with
| expertise in this area...anyone, anyone?  Beuller....Beuller?

Note that PCL5 font has some tables/data which are not necessary present in
all TrueType fonts. Just as some TrueType fonts do not have PostScript names
for all characters, or do not have them at all...