Re: [Devel] languages

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] languages
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:42:28 +0200

Peter Daukintis wrote:

> Could anyone advise me on the best way to determin which languages are
> supported in a particular treutype font?

No. This is not possible: font do handle SCRIPTs, not languages.
A script (like Latin, Cyrillic, Devanagari) can be used for multiple
language, and OTOH a language can be render using different scripts
(think aboyut Sanskrit which can be "written" using almost any Indic
script; or about Mongolian, Uzbek, Urdu, etc. Even Greek can be
written using the Latin script, although I believe using the Greek
script is usually prefered).

Now if you ask about the ways to determine a script a given
font can support, this is a state-of-art question; there are
tracks for answers, but no definitive solution. Perhaps your particular
problem is a bit narrow than the general question, so you might get some
material if you give us some hints about it.

Antoine