[Devel] Kerning

From: Detlef Würkner
Subject: [Devel] Kerning
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:09:37 +0200

Hello!

In an earlier project, I changed the Type1 AFM part of FreeType1.3.1 to

- additionally parse TrackKern data and not only kerning pairs

- compute the kerning depending on the point size (that's where TrackKern
  data are made for)

- compute the kerning depending on a boolean parameter whether to use
  the loosest or the tightest TrackKern data (called "Text kerning" and
  "Design kerning" on Amiga).

Unfortunately, the source contains Amiga specific memory management
and floating point arithmetic, so I am asking here before adopting
it to FreeType2:

Would it be useful to change the API in a way that the pointsize and
the degree of kerning must be specified? What about TrueType kerning
tables, do they contain something similar?

Ciao, Detlef
--
_ // address@hidden
\X/  Detlef Wuerkner, Langgoens/Germany