Re: [Devel] defects in ftgrays.c

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] defects in ftgrays.c
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:24:23 +0200

Hi Graham,

Graham Asher a écrit :

> While adapting the routines in ftgrays.c I have noticed a few defects.
> These affect efficiency, not correctness, but are probably worth fixing.

Thanks for spotting these inefficiencies in the rasterizer, I'll commit
fixes as soon as the server switch is complete (as well as the PS Hinter
by the way)

> 1. compute_cbox takes an unnecessary argument specifying the outline. The
> outline is already available as a member of TRaster (ras.outline).

True.

> 2. The local static version of FT_Outline_Decompose uses variables 'shift'
> and 'delta' which are always zero. These variables can be removed. The
> macro SCALED (defined as '#define SCALED( x )  ( ( (x) << shift ) - delta
> )') thus becomes unnecessary and can be removed completely.

That's also true. I'll probably redefine the macro to something like

  #define  SCALED(x)  x

simply because this might be useful for future experimentation..

> 3. The function Move_To calls record_cell, which can fail, but ignores its
> return value.
>
> 4. start_cell calls set_cell but ignores its return value, which is an
> error code; start_cell should itself return an error value.

True too. Actually, I have made a patch to the rasterizer to force it
to use setjmp/longjmp to deal with raster pool overflows. This simplifies
the design and gets rids of these bugs altogether (seems that it also
speeds rendering speed by 5% !!)

Regards,

- David