[Devel] ["L. Peter Deutsch" <address@hidden>] [Gs-devel] PMingLiu and TT

From: Francesco Zappa Nardelli
Subject: [Devel] ["L. Peter Deutsch" <address@hidden>] [Gs-devel] PMingLiu and TT instructions
Date: 13 Nov 2001 14:07:23 +0100

Comments for gs-devel?

Thanks,
-francesco

From: "L. Peter Deutsch" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: [Gs-devel] PMingLiu and TT instructions

I've investigated the hinting instructions for this font at some length.
What I've found is that for the overwhelming majority of glyphs, the freedom
vector and projection vector are set to either the X axis or the Y axis; and
from examining the use of NO_APPLE_PATENT in ttinterp.c of the Freetype2
code, it appears that the authors of the Freetype2 TT instruction
interpreter believe(d) that the Apple patent(s) only apply when the freedom
and projection vectors are set to positions *other than* the X and Y axis.
So if this is true (and this should be checked with the Freetype group), and
if Mr. Suzuki or someone else can confirm that compiling the Freetype2
interpreter *with* the instruction interpreter but also with NO_APPLE_PATENT
defined produces reasonable-looking output, then it appears we have a usable
approach.

[...]

--

L. Peter Deutsch     |    Aladdin Enterprises   |  203 Santa Margarita Ave.
address@hidden    |  http://www.aladdin.com  |  Menlo Park, CA 94025

        The future of software is at http://www.opensource.org